Important things to do NOW, once a diagnosis is given:
- Consult family physician about diagnosis and the need for home upplies as needed. Your GP can write up orders to Medicare for hospital bed, commode, walker, hours for home care if needed, etc.
- Have a Family Meeting with those who are involved in daily life to discuss aspects that are present and to anticipate future needs — better to operate from a pro-active rather than a re-active situation. Emergencies are not the time to discuss where a person will have to live and how and who will be providing care.
- This also includes the financial situation of the family: putting into place a structured plan to apply for Medicare, meeting with an eldercare attorney make an estate plan to include an irrevocable trust to protect assets of spouses. It is never too soon to do this! Talking about who should be Health Care Proxy and have Durable Power of Attorney. Please see information under our CAREGIVING & SUPPORT tab and then click on Legal and Financial Planning.
- Think about attending one of our support groups and keep in touch with our website on an ongoing basis to be able to respond appropriately as needs arise. And know you can always call our HELPLINE at 516-218-2026 seven days per week from 8am to 8pm.
- Re-arrange furniture to make it more accessible to navigate around house.
- Remove clutter and patterned pillows, wall hangings, decorative rugs to provide a sense of calm and tranquility.
- Play music that is enjoyable.
- Maintain or implement safe exercise and activities that are enjoyable….quality of life is so key to everyone’s emotional & physical well-being when challenging situations arise.
- Keep an attitude of moving with the flow and know that as things change it is important to anticipate that they will.
- Be pro-active but don’t project too much into the future. Staying in the moment will alleviate anxiety. Enjoy the special moments NOW.